Building Blocks will administer medicines authorized by your physician. Each medicine must have a pharmacy label on it that clearly states the specific dosage for your child. We will administer over the counter medication, but only if the proper medication authorization forms are filled out. Since administration of medication poses an extra responsibility for the staff, and having medication onsite creates a safety hazard, parents should notify their doctor that their child attends a child care center and request that dosages be set up for dispensing at home only. If medication must be administered during the day, please request that dosages be set up for lunchtime only.
Medication will be given according to the following guidelines:
- Medication will be stored in a locked container at all times. It is the parent's responsibility to unlock the box,
put the day's medicine in, and then lock the box once again
- Never leave medicine in a child's diaper bag or cubby
- The medication authorization form must be filled out daily or weekly
- All medication that is not being used for a present illness must be taken home immediately
- Building Blocks will dispose of any medication left by Friday afternoon
- If a liquid oral medication is to be given, the parent must provide an administration device such as a medicine cup,
dropper or syringe, with clearly marked measurements and place it in a zip-lock bag with the medication
- All diaper cream, powders, ointments, etc. are treated as over-the-counter medication and must be locked up at all times.
A medication form must be filled out
- North Carolina Law requires that all medicines must be provided in the original, clearly marked container